Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mr. Fix-it

I am SO BLESSED to have a DH that can fix just about anything (excluding most electronics)!  He has done so many things for us and our home from building furniture, to building a garage, to trimming trees, to remodeling from the studs, to cleaning out years of neglect in our yard.  He is an organizing nut and loves for everything to be in its place (me too--I love for everything to BE organized, I just can't seem to keep it that way--must be all the "help" I have).  He is also very particular and thorough in any job he does.  He is also VERY busy with work, family and church responsibilities so "extra time" is hard to come by. One time, I asked my BIL if the water to his in-door refrigerator dispenser was fixed and his answer was "Did your husband fix it yet?"  Pretty much sums it up--he's in high demand.  He's even become the neighborhood "Rent-a-Clint." 

You'd think I'd have one of our two freezer ice makers hooked up after over 4 years of both of us complaining about it and never having enough ice for parties/small group (a weekly event).  Must be a pretty hard fix with the drilling through the floor and hooking it all up.  

So, last night the big 2 were heading to VBS for a couple of hours.  The baby and I headed to Meijer in between drop off and pick up (and again after that--more on that to come.)  DH had #3 with him and went over to the church to check out the project I volunteered him for (he can do anything!) and then on to Lowes to pick up the supplies he needed to do it.  I think there was also a DQ stop in there as well--I saw the milkshake ;-) 

I was busy picking out a bday present for #4's first drop-off birthday party on Saturday and getting all the items on my list with the coupon matchups.  I was checking out with about 20 minutes to go before I had to pick up the big 2.  Wow, shopping with only 1 kiddo sure is a lot easier than with 4!  We get up to the check-out line and are done.  I'm grabbing for the wallet...nope, not in the purse.  I'm praying it's in the car.  I'll be right back--I think I left my wallet in the car.  As we're walking out, I say "Peanut, do you know where my wallet is?"  "Yeah!" she says with a cheery grin.  "Where?" "I take it out of you puhhs and hide it.  In the couch.  In the cuuushins."  Really?  "Yeah!!"  Again, very proud of her little self.  "Are you supposed to play with Mommy's wallet?'  "Yeah!"  "Noooo."  "Oh. Noooo."  I'm trying to be stern, but at least grateful that she knows where it is.   So, we head back in to tell them I'll be back later.  I was pretty happy that with coupons and sales, I was able to keep my major bill for 2 weeks at $95 and I bought a lot of cleaning supplies!  They put the cart in the cooler for me.  Must not be the first time that's happened...not even the first time it's happened to me *blush*

So, we rush back across town to get the big ones and I drop everyone off at the house for Daddy to put to bed.  Peanut has a FIT when she realized I was leaving.  Snot, drool, body flomping (that, apparently is a LeRoy, IL term that means thrashing/uncontrollable movements--according to DH, I'm good at this when sleeping), the whole nine yards...think Daddy needs some more time with her. 

Driving back home and now I get to put away the groceries.  DH has all the kids in bed, helps unload and says he's headed back to Lowes.  He gets back home and says he's going to hook up the 2 ice makers.  It's about 9:30, so I'm going to bed expecting that he'll be up for hours doing what must be a hard, time-consuming job.  15 minutes.   15 minutes and both ice makers are hooked up!  Awesome, but are you kidding me?  4.5 years I've waited for a job that took 15 minutes!!  I'm giving him a hard time, but I am really grateful to have a wonderful Mr. Fix-It as a husband.  And very thankful to have ice without having to fill trays!  It's the little things :-)

1 comment: