Excuses, Excuses! (you have to say this in your best Spanish accent to get the full effect of my obscure movie reference--bonus points if you know what it is)
As most lazy days at home go, I asked the 4 older children to straighten their pigsties, I mean, bedrooms this morning. I have had to break up fights, kiss and pray for boo boos, shoo them out of the wrong rooms, discourage horseplay, ninjaplay and archerplay. I have tried motivation and encouragement, bribery with Halloween candy, and then switched to (shame shame) threatening and yelling. Not a bit of it has helped. It is now 11:34, and they've been at it for a couple of hours. If they had done their best and not allowed themselves to get discouraged, we could all be playing board games, putting together puzzles and playing on the Kinect by now.
I have heard every excuse in the book:
She made me.
He won't let me in my room.
The book was too good to just put away.
We just made a little army fort.
I really wanted to go swimming. That's why I put on my swim suit.
I can't do it without your help.
I'm too tired.
They apologize for their behaviors, but don't change their hearts. They say they're sorry and then add a "but..." on to it. As I am talking to them about their hearts and their obedience, I hear a little voice in my head about excuses and apologies. I can hear myself saying "I'm sorry I got upset and yelled, but you need to obey me the first time." Ouch. Have I stopped, prayed and asked for forgiveness and the power to change my behaviors starting in my heart? Not so much. I am thankful I was able to hear that still small voice reminding me of my own sin and my own traitorous heart. And I am thankful for the strength to stop, pray, repent and try again. I hope I am able to set that example for them and extend the same grace.
So, next time I'm thinking Excuses! Excuses! I will try to stop, pray, repent and try again. What works for you?
Fools Rush In for your obscure movie quote. Miss you, my friend.
ReplyDelete