Monday, July 11, 2011

Couponer?

So, as you know, I hate grocery shopping (see previous blog).  I seem to do pretty well with keeping our family's grocery budget to a minimum.  I spend about $350/month that does not include eating out or school lunches (probably around $400/month in the summer).  I do however, want to save more (don't we all?!) so I've decided to give couponing a try.  I know, I know, you've seen those crazy people who are filling bathtubs and their children's bedrooms with unecessary items that will take them 25 years to use, but I don't want to be that extreme.  I just want to save more and be able to donate more. 

So far, I've been quite frustrated with the whole deal.  I go to couponing websites to find the coupon match-ups for what's also on sale/has a store coupon with which you can stack to get better deals.  I print off those printable coupons.  I make a detailed list in excel of what I will buy.  And all I usually get is a stress headache and not enough savings as to make it worth it. 

But, I'm not giving up.  I went to a class to learn more about couponing.  And I did!  I learned how to be more efficient in my organization and preparation.  I also learned that I may have to go to more than one store/week to get the best deals--yeah, probably not going to do that (did I mention my last blog and hating grocery shopping?) 

I used to hate cooking though.  Hated how long it takes and how messy it was (just more to do after!) and how quickly it was gone.  Let alone how soon I'd just have to do it all again (Mom, I'm huuungry!!!).  However, thanks to some great recipes and inspiration from my sister (here's her blog ourgatheringtable.com), I actually enjoy cooking and entertaining more, so perhaps once I get more into couponing I'll like it more. 

Right now, the goal is to be able to put more money toward paying off debt (goal is to be debt-free excluding the mortgage by 2013).  I also want to be able to give more to local food pantries and shelters, so anything I can get extra of that we won't need I plan to donate.  If I can save about half, or $200, I'd be a happy woman! 

So, don't look here to find any fantastic deals or probably not even run-downs of what I bought where, but I will keep you updated as to any tricks I find helpful along the way and how well I'm doing.  If you want more information on details, let me know and I'd be happy to help you out.  I can't spend my life on the computer looking for/trying to get deals/printing coupons.  I also can't spend it in grocery stores trying to save a buck--my time is more valuable than that.  I have 4.5 babies to raise :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment